There are more than a few reasons why you may be avoiding eggs in your holiday Pumpkin Pie this year. Maybe one of your guests has a dietary restriction, maybe you are looking to lower the cholesterol in your recipes or maybe you just want to give an egg-free pie a whirl. Eggs add texture and flavor to a pumpkin pie, so you will want to find suitable ingredients that properly replace those qualities. An egg-free pumpkin pie is easy with these five ingredient ideas
5 Ways to Make Pumpkin Pie Without Eggs
1. Use Soaked Cashews. Soaked cashews act as an excellent egg replacer. You soak them overnight, drain and rinse them, Then you process them until smooth and creamy. They will give your pie a creamy and fluffy texture similar to eggs. Cashew Pumpkin Pie recipe on Healthy. Happy. Life.
2. Coconut Oil Magic. If you have played around with virgin coconut oil, you know that is has the ability to firm up recipes when chilled, and creates a silky rich texture as well. So if you are worried about your eggless pumpkin pie firming up in the fridge after baking, simply try this trick: substitute every 2 eggs with 1/3 cup of melted coconut oil, plus 1-2 Tbsp non-dairy milk or a scoop of applesauce. And this trick works best on pies that you will be chilling before serving, since coconut oil is liquid at a a heated state and becomes hard in consistency when chilled. Coconut Pumpkin Pie recipe on Family Kitchen.
2. Use Walnuts. Just like cashews, wlanuts act to replace the texture and rich consistency that eggs provide. But walnuts do not need to be soaked overnight and they are actually perfect for making a raw, bake-free pumpkin pie! Check out this Walnut Pumpkin Pie recipe on Healthy. Happy. Life.
3. Applesauce it. The old tried and true egg-replacer of applesauce certainly does work for pumpkin pie. Just be aware that since apple sauce is sweet, you may want to reduce your recipes overall sugar a bit. You can replace 2 eggs with about 1/2 cup of applesauce.
4. Cheesecake it. By using a combination of vegan cream cheese and soaked cashews, you can make a delicious pumpkin pie flavored cheese cake, without using eggs. Get the recipe: Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake on Family Kitchen.
photo credit: Kathy Patalsky
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.
Follow Kathy on Facebook and Twitter for updates!
More on Family Kitchen:
* 5 Ways to Make Tofu Fancy for the Holidays
* 7 Recipes for Simple Sassy Tofu
Vegan Pumpkin Pie - Instructables - Make, How To, and DIY 3 Simple Ways to Share What You Make. With Instructables you can share what you make with the world and tap into an ever-growing community of creative experts. How to Make a Flavorful Crustless Pumpkin Pie - 1 Point eHow.com Trying to watch your weight this Thanksgiving or Christmas? Try this wonderful 1 point recipe! Does this Spark an idea? 5 Ways to Make Food More Fun [For Kids] Good Life Eats I'm not an expert, and my kids aren't perfect eaters, but I thought I'd share a few of the ways we've learned to make food a little more exciting. Fresh Pumpkin Recipes: 5 Great Ways to Use Fresh Pumpkin Its autumn, and veggie shops are overflowing with beautiful golden pumpkins. Pumpkin is a highly nutritious vegetable, rich in antioxidants, fiber and ... How to Make Pumpkin Pie - How To Cooking Tips - RecipeTips.com Make this homemade pumpkin pie for family and friends during the holidays. Learn how to make homemade pumpkin pie plus many other tasty pumpkin recipes, such as ... How to make a pumpkin pie... from an ordinary jack-o-lantern ... How to make a real home-made pumpkin pie from an ordinary fresh carving / Jack O Lantern pumpkin is a fully illustrated, easy to follow recipe and directions. The ... How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Pie - from a Real Pumpkin, Not a Can ... How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Pie - from a Real Pumpkin, Not a Can! Fully illustrated, with complete, simple recipe and directions. These are the easiest directions on ... How to Make Classic Libby's Pumpkin Pie eHow.com For a holiday treat or a sweet indulgence any time of the year, follow this recipe from Libby's. Serves 8. Does this Spark an idea? How to make perfect pumpkin pie Life and style The Guardian How to make perfect pumpkin pie. An American classic we really should import, or something best left on the other side of the ocean? How to Make Pumpkin Pie - KitchenDaily Aimee Herring Making a homemade pumpkin pie really isn't that difficult, says Juergen Temme of The Culinary Institute of America. Pumpkin Pie Recipe from The CIA