I will confess that I actually love a fun and quirky Tofurky on my meat-free holiday table. But Ive found that some people shun this retro, classic, makes-people-giggle, meat-free product. For close to thirty years, Turtle Island Foods has proudly been serving up meat alternative products including the famous Tofurky product. And while, it is still a highly coveted holiday centerpiece for vegetarians and vegans, there are a few different veggie meat brands and options you may want to give a spot on your table..
Goodbye Tofurky! 5 Alternatives for Veggie Meat
1. Field Roast Grain Meat Company. Field Roast makes a few delicious meat-free products including an Apple Sage Sausage and holiday-approved Celebration Roast. Field Roast uses wheat meat, aka seitan, as their main ingredient. Field Roast is 100% soy free. They even sell a 2lb boxed version of their Celebration Roast as an elegant holiday option.
2. Gardein. Gardein is a very popular veggie meat company. Gardein sells a meat-free version of just about any product you could crave. Vegan steak tips. vegan buffalo wing, and vegan chickn tenders. They also have a Holiday Roast that serves eight people and is made from soy and wheat. Note: Gardein Mandarin Chickn is shown in photo at top.
3. Seitan Loaf at Home. Ditch the store-bought products and go all Martha Stewart on your veggie meat entree. A seitan loaf made from vital wheat gluten is actually easier than you think to make! Try this recipe: Make Seitan From Scratch.
4. Beyond Meat. If you want to grab some of the newest, trendiest vegan meat on the market, seek out Beyond Meat. This new company is backed by a few of Twitters founders including Biz Stone (who is vegan.) While the company only appears to have chicken strips available as of yet, and in select markets, this highly in-demand veggie meat would be super cool to see at your holiday table. Tweet it to all your veggie friends.
5. Tofurky. Embrace it! OK, you could ditch the Tofurky, but then again, why not embrace this famous, veggie version meat for the holidays. The Tofurky Holiday Box comes with gravy, stuffing, wish bones and now even features Amys Kitchen vegan chocolate cake. Plus Tofurky is made with non-genetically modified soybeans.
photo credit: Kathy Patalsky
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.
Follow Kathy on Facebook and Twitter for updates!
More on Family Kitchen:
* 5 Ways to Make Tofu Fancy for the Holidays
* Pecan Pumpkin Pie Cookies
* 7 Recipes for Simple Sassy Tofu
Vegetarian & Vegan Starter Kit Guide on How to Become Vegan ... Use PETA's free guide to going vegetarian or vegan. It has everything that you'll need to get started right away: recipes, tips on eating out, health information, and ... Vegan Essentials - Online Vegan Store - Vegan Products for cruelty ... Vegan Essentials is your complete online vegan store for all your vegan products including vegan clothing, vegan snacks, vegan sweets, and vegan health and beauty ... Worlds Biosphere!!!!!. Gem Formation Making Crystals... To understand how crystals grow, it is helpful to actually make some. The simplest method is rock candy, which is crystallized sugar. Vegsource - Your source for all things vegan and vegetarian. Over 10000 vegetarian & vegan recipes, discussion boards, nutritionists, medical doctors, experts, authors, articles, newsletter, a community of nice people sharing ... Meat Alternatives Meat Alternatives for private consumers, distributors, manufacturers and others. Get available brands in 40+ countries: Veggie steaks, veggie burgers, veggie sausages ... Recipes - How To Information eHow.com Recipes: Wondering whats for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? Need a side dish or appetizer to serve with your favorite recipe? Find healthy recipes, cooking tips and ... The Vegan Mouse A week ago today, my family and I took Buster on his last car ride to the vet and in a small exam room we said goodbye and "I Love You" for perhaps the millionth time ... Vegetarian Living PETA.org - People for the Ethical Treatment of ... Win a Box of ProBar Energy Bars Want to take your vegan meals on the go? Enter for a chance to win yummy Peanut Butter..... Take Action peta2.com FREE Spook-tacular Halloween Candy Tags. Speak up for animals this Halloween with spooky Nugget-themed candy tags! The World's Largest Collection of Vegetarian Recipes VegWeb is the world's largest vegetarian recipe community. Get ready for an incredible food experience!