Yesterday I posted a delicious round-up of kale chips recipes. But since I have come to realize that kale chips can either be a huge success or a huge disaster I wanted to share a few kitchen troubleshooting tips with you all. These are my top 5 things that can go wrong when making kale chips and tips to prevent them!..
Top 5 Things that Can Go Wrong: Kale Chips
1. Washing and Drying. So you washed your kale nicely, but you skimped on drying. You really want to either spin your kale or squeeze it dry with a few paper towels. Dry kale will help prevent soggy chips and will allow you room to add in some seasonings.
2. Too Hot. The number one cause of wilted kale chips is placing your chips in a too hot oven. Kale chips are best when made in a dehydrator they get super crispy but you can totally make delicious kale chips in your oven by baking for a long time on the lowest setting. Dont try to speed up the process by placing the kale in a 300 degree oven. You will end up with ROASTED kale rather than crispy chip kale.
3. No Grease. You really want to remember to grease, oil or properly line your baking sheet. Those kale chips will easily stick to ungreased baking sheets or foil. So slather on some EVOO, coconut oil or any veggie oil. You can also experiment with using fancy non-stick liners and even wax paper.
4. Too Much Sauce. If you add too much sauce or coating to your kale you may end up with soggy chips no matter how perfectly you bake them. Clumpy-sauced kale chips just wont be nice and crispy. Although .. they might still be delicious.
5. Spacing. You really want your chips to breath as they bake. So allow only one layer on your baking sheet and space the kale out as much as you can. Clumped kale will not get light and crispy, but rather thick and mushy.
Last Word. I can say from personal experience, even if you mess up the baking process and come away with soggy, roasted, over baked, underbaked, clumpy or sticky kale chips .. they will probably still be yummy! And practice makes perfect with these tricky little green crisps of love. Keep trying!
Get 11 amazing kale chip recipes
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.
Follow Kathy on Facebook and Twitter for updates!
Dont miss the latest from Family Kitchen Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen:
* Grapefruit Blue Smoothie
* 21 Recipes to Enjoy Dessert for Breakfast via oatmeal!
* Peanut Butter Tofu Rice Bowl
* Peanut Mandarin Rice Bowl
* 25 Super Cute Veggie Bento Kids Lunches
Kale Juice Recipes, Kale Smoothies, Kale Chips: Plus The ... When was the last time you had some kale? Yesterday? Last week? Never? The fact is kale is often neglected when it comes to choosing your greens. It's Salted Kale Chips The Healthy Eating Site Kale chips the raw vegan alternative to potato chips. Im addicted to them. I eat about a third of them before they even finish dehydrating. Kale Chips recipe Snack Girl Kale is getting a lot of press and finding its way on all the top blogs. I had to ask this kale to stop on the red carpet to photograph it.... Cupcakes & Kale Chips Yummy, Healthy Eats & Tasty, Scrumptious ... Yummy, Healthy Eats & Tasty, Scrumptious Sweets ... Several weeks back, I shared with you the awesome Sesame Noodles from Katie Workmans The Mom 100 Cookbook. make your own cheezy oven-baked (or not) Kale Chips! Super ... Kick off your shoes and get ready to boogie because Kale Chips are in the house! Guaranteed to blow your mind. Impossible to eat just one. Crazily devoured by ... Crunchy kale chips recipe (i.e. how to eat a bucket of kale per ... Seeing as our Daniela Payne just blogged about the amazingness of kale on The Health Blog, I thought I'd add my 2 cents. Which happens to be an addictive little Recipe: Baked Kale Chips One Green Planet With no oil added, these are a crunchy, healthy, baked snack! Ingredients: 1 Bunch Kale; Nutritional Yeast; Spices; Preparation: Preheat oven or toaster oven to 225F. Kale Chip Recipe Health Recipes Healthy Chips A great nutritional snack - the kale chip! Kale chips are great vegan snacks & taste like potato chips. Vegan, healthy and a great alternative to cooking kale. baked kale chips - Gluten Free Girl and the Chef Food-Stories ... I dont know why I resisted making kale chips for so long. For months, even years, Ive been reading raves of this healthy snack from bloggers across the country ... Greens, Kale & Thyroid Problems LIVESTRONG.COM Greens, Kale & Thyroid Problems. Green vegetables, especially kale, contain chemicals called goitrogens that may inhibit absorption of dietary iodine. A decrease in ...