Pumpkin season is just about here and that means you will most likely be in the kitchen whipping up pumpkin pies, pumpkin shakes, pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin muffins and more. Well when you arrive at the pumpkin section in your grocery store you may notice a few options. Both boxed and canned pumpkin varieties on sale. So what are the differences between the two pumpkin options? And when is it best to use one over the other? Here are a few things to help you make your decision and help your pumpkin recipes turn out their best!..
The Basics: When it comes to pumpkin puree (nothing added, 100% pumpkin) there are two options. Boxed or canned. Both contain pure pumpkin puree, but there are also a few differences.
* Most canned pumpkin contains 50 calories per 1/2 cup serving, while the boxed varieties usually contain around 40 calories. This is because there is more moisture in most boxed varieties.
* The canned varieties are usually a bit on the firm side with a dry consistency. While the boxed varieties are usually much more moist and liquid you can actually pour them right out of the box almost like an applesauce consistency.
When to Use:
* For drinks like pumpkin lattes where you will be dissolving the pumpkin into liquid, you may want to reach for the boxed varieties since they dissolve very well without any clumping. The canned varieties tend to clump up a bit more due to their dryness.
* For dips where you want a thick consistency and dont want to do a lot of thickening up with added ingredients go with the canned since it is naturally much more dip-like and thick.
* For pies you can really use either variety however the boxed variety will make for a more watery filling and thus may take a longer time for yoru pie to bake and set. But this also depends on your recipe. You just want to be aware that most pumpkin pie recipes will probably assume that you are using canned pumpkin. So if you do use the boxed variety and your filling seems a bit on the wet side you will know why.
Boxed vs. Canned: Why Boxed? The short answer: BPA concerns. Many studies including a review by the New York Times have chatted about the amount of BPA that is lurking in canned goods. That includes canned pumpkin. This is one reason why you may want to seek out BPA-free cans of just go with the boxed purees. Or if all else fails (and you have time) make your own pumpkin puree at home from a whole pumpkin!
More links on BPA in cans:
* BPA Lurking in 90% of Cans Tested
* Many Pantry Staples Contain BPA
* BPA Lurks in Canned Soups NYTimes
* BPA-laced Pumpkin Pie Anyone? BabyCenter.com
Try these fun fall pumpkin-y recipes:
* Halloween Plump Pumpkin Cupcakes
* 5-Ingredient Pumpkin Cheesecake
* Jack-o-Pumpkin Breakfast Sandwich at Healthy. Happy. Life.
* Pumpkin Pecan Cinnamon Rolls at Healthy Happy Life
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.
Follow Kathy on Facebook and Twitter for updates!
Dont miss the latest from Family Kitchen Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen:
* 7 Meatless Sloppy Joes
* McDonalds India to Open Vegetarian Locations!
* Lemon-y Tuna-Free Pasta Bowl
* Stacked Mushroom Melt Veggie Burger
* Roasted Cheezy (Amazing) Broccoli
Song Lyrics DAILY UPDATED! One of the largest, most accurate, browsable & searchable song lyrics source on the net, providing more than 500,000 lyrics from around 30,000 artists ... Green Women's Lifestyle - Yahoo! Shine Recent testing of mercury concentrations in three national brands of canned tuna found that 55 percent of all tuna examined was above the U.S. Environmental ... Topic Galleries -- OrlandoSentinel.com - Orlando news, information ... Topic galleries provide easy access to stories and photos about people, places, organizations, events and subjects of interest to you. They bring together rich ... Amazon.com: The Little Rascals: The Complete Collection: Little ... Children, with their fusion of innocence and mischief, can be natural comedians, and The Little Rascals plunders youthful exuberance for all it's worth. This series ... The Yahoo! Shopping Insider. Get the latest news and articles ... The Yahoo! Shopping Insider. Get the latest news and articles about the trends in electronics, fashions, home improvement, and much more. "Dirty" recipes that are crowd pleasers - Home Cooking - Chowhound I got the following recipe from Krissywats, who has dubbed it "Pumpkin Crack" because of how people go apeshit for it. And she feels a bit "dirty" ma Recipes - How To Information eHow.com Recipes: Wondering whats for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? Need a side dish or appetizer to serve with your favorite recipe? Find healthy recipes, cooking tips and ... Q&A Tuesday: What do you buy at Aldi? Money Saving Mom I have a question. I noticed you do a lot of shopping at Aldi. We have one where I live, but for some reason I am hesitant to shop there. I was wondering if you could ... Aldi vs Grocery Stores: Which Saves You More? :: Southern Savers As frugal-minded shoppers, we are always on the hunt to find the best prices without too much work. I know a lot of you have found that Aldi has low prices and good ... Real Lemon versus ReaLemon A Gardener's Table Home preservers often wonder why USDA preserving recipes calling for lemon juice specify that the juice should come from a bottle. In most grocery stores the only ...