Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Mat That Saved my Back (and my Preserves)

mat 3 The Mat That Saved my Back (and my Preserves)

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I cook for a living I write about it, and talk about it on TV and radio. And so Im always testing recipes and styling photo shoots, and of course because I love cooking I love putting up preserves in the fall jam, chutney, pickles and the like. At 6 ft tall, standing at the counter on hardwood floors for hours can do a number on my back.

Mat 1 The Mat That Saved my Back (and my Preserves)

And so I decided to do what restaurant chefs and baristas do to save their backs I picked up an anti-fatigue mat from Home Depot to set down in my high-traffic area, that spot of the counter beside the stove where I wind up doing most of my work.

mat 2 The Mat That Saved my Back (and my Preserves)

There are far more types of mats available in the US all sturdy and washable, all designed with the goal of protecting your knees and back from long periods of standing on a hard floor. The mat I chose has interlocking sides, so that you could conceivably cover a side or corner of your kitchen with a springy rubber surface, and its easy to lift up when you want to mop. I just pick mine up and keep it in a roll in the basement when Im not cooking for long stretches.

mat 4 The Mat That Saved my Back (and my Preserves)

But for now, because its fall, Ill be making Crabapple-Cranberry Slow Cooker Chutney, cranberry-pear-ginger preserves, green tomato chutney, ginger pickled carrots, apricot jam and pickled everything.

What are you doing with your fall harvest?

A big thanks to The Home Depot for sponsoring this campaign. Click here to see more of the discussion.

For more delicious ideas, check out Julies other Family Kitchen posts or visit her blog, Dinner with Julie! Join Julie on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for updates!

 The Mat That Saved my Back (and my Preserves)
Life Of A Wet Teen: Still Sick I'm not much better today. I have slept for most the day and can't be bothered doing much else. I have been throwing up a lot, but haven't at all for the ... Cancer Saved My Life - Home Cancer Saved My Life My name is Iaki Legorburu I am a cancer patient For my family and friends "The body is a huge system in equilibrium, where each function ... () ... . . CD . mp3 ... the view from my mat how I experience, practice & teach yoga (by Heather Colvin) ... The light within me honors and respects the light within you. It seems like an appropriate idea to ... How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking ... Meet Mat Honan. He just had his digital life dissolved by hackers. Photo: Ariel Zambelich/Wired. Illustration: Ross Patton/Wired Custom Chair Mats Office Chair Mats Chair Mats for Carpet Welcome to Chair-Mats.com!! Buying more than One chairmat ? Use our Made in America Quantity Discount. Save 10% on Orders of 5 or more chair mats. Amazon.com: The Original Basketweave Gel-Tec 1st Generation Anti ... Amazon.com: The Original Basketweave Gel-Tec 1st Generation Anti-fatigue Kitchen Mat 20" Wide By 36" Long. Reduce the Standing Pressure on Back, Leg and Foot for ... PowerMat - The Ultimate Fitness Mat The most comfortable workout mat available ... PowerMat. Your Ticket to a Clean, Comfortable Workout, Anyplace, Anytime. Amazon.com: Manduka BlackMatPRO 71-Inch Yoga and Pilates Mat ... Buy 5 Save 5 percent off your order - Buy 10 Save 10 percent off your order Here's how (restrictions apply) How I Got My Digital Life Back Again After An Epic Hacking ... When my data died, it was the cloud that killed it. The triggers hackers used to break into my accounts and delete my files were all cloud-based services ...

No comments:

Post a Comment