With apple season just beginning it is time to get started thinking about apple recipes. I mean, who doesnt need to add a few to their repertoire each season? I know I do! I saw something similar to this on Pinterest the other day and was so intrigued. Who doesnt love the idea of individual apple pies baked in apples? My daughter was interested in the idea too so we set out to experiment with this new recipe together. All in all we had a blast and loved the results. I still need to work on my crust decoration techniques, but they really tasted just like a homemade apple pies served in baked apples. Happy fall!
Apples Pies Baked in Apples
adapted from the Domestic Dilletante
5 Granny Smith apples, large
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoons brown sugar
1 pinch kosher salt
1 pre-made pie crust (I used Pillsbury)
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Cut the tops off of four of the apples and scoop out the interior of the apples and reserve the pulp. Do your best to remove the core and seeds. It is OK if it gets mushy and chopped up. Peel and chop up the remaining apple, discarding the core and seeds.
2. Add the chopped pieces of all five apples to a large bowl and toss with the cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and salt.
3. Divide the filling amongst the four scooped out apples, filling them as evenly as possible. Cut the pie crust into strips and place them across the apples in a decorative pattern.
4. Place the apples in a small baking pan and fill with enough water just to cover the bottom of the pan. Tent the pan with foil and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the apples are heated through.
5. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve.
Some more interesting posts:
7 Snack Breads for the Lunchbox
Last Minute Watermelon Salad
Read more from Kelsey on Kelseys blog!
Follow Kelsey on Facebook and Twitter for updates
Mini Apple Pies Baking Bites The only thing better than a slice of freshly baked apple pie is having a whole pie all to yourself. That said, it can be a little daunting (and probably a little ... Recipe Muffin Cup Mini Baked Apple Pies It may not be fall just quite yet but the last few weeks has sure felt like. With daytime temperatures in the 70s and evening temperatures dipping into the 50s ... Teach Your Child to Bake Apple Pie Fruit & Berry Pies and ... Recipe for a classic apple pie ... Teach Your Child to Bake Apple Pie . Cooking with kids and FamilyFun. by Deanna F. Cook and Emily B. Todd Mini Apple Pies Apples Zoom Yummy A step-by-step recipe for Mini Apple Pies ... Would you like to know what Ive been doing for the past two hours? Sitting in the kitchen and staring at the Mini ... Baking Fruit Pies Article - Allrecipes.com Get tips for baking juicy fruit pies with a crisp, flaky crust. Apple Pies Jo In the Kitchen Groovin' in the kitchen, dancin' in Missoula. ... I know, Ive made a few pies lately. But see how these are different? Look at how adorable these are! How to Bake Frozen Fruit Pies eHow.com At harvest time, bakers prepare and freeze pies to preserve the bounty of the most flavorful fruit of the season, but when the time to serve the pie comes, how can a ... Apples Recipes - Apple Cakes, Desserts, Pies, and More Apples - recipes and information, including recipes for apple crisp, pies, and other desserts. Apple Pie Baked in the Apples Chronicles of a Domestic Dilettante As you all know, I am very much a beginner in the kitchen. So when my friends assigned both appetizers AND dessert to me for this years Thanksgiving, I was in full ... How to Freeze Baked Apple Pies eHow.com Apple pies can be baked ahead of time and frozen successfully if the proper technique is used. Freezing can be a time-saver during hectic occasions, as you only need ...