This simple fall squash roast is accented with citrus, spice and sage. Go on, pluck one of those scary-looking, bumpy, striped fall squash varieties out of the ominous bins at the supermarket. Yes that giant, hard piece of produce seems heavy and rock-like now. But in just a few hours you can easily turn it into a simply splendid side dish, or ingredient to accent an entree. This is my favorite recipe for spritzing up a roasted squash. Some spices, citrus and sage. A little sweet, very warm and totally cozy. Give it a whirl for a cozy-fest sort of night..
For fall, breakfast is easy, right? Well so is dinner! Just add roast squash. Boom. Fall recipe bliss
Simple Fall Squash Roast with Citrus, Spices and Sage
cubed or whole squash*
*based on about 20 ounces of cubes. Adjust amounts as needed
2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or try hazelnut oil!) or vegan buttery spread (omit salt if opting to use)
1-2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 orange, juiced + pinch of fresh zest
3-5 fresh sage leaves, torn
salt + pepper to taste ( a few pinches of each over top the surface of the squash
cinnamon (lightly sprinkled over top)
cayenne optional for a few dashes of heat)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cube squash OR Prep whole butternut squash by washing surface, then slicing in halves or quarters and removing seeds.
3. Juice orange. Mix the orange, oil, sage, maple, spices and vinegar in a bowl.
4.Toss squash cubes with liquid. Or for roasting de-seeded whole squash, drizzle and rub over cut surface -place squash halves in dish, flesh side down. Pour remaining liquid in dish.
5. Cover dish lightly with foil-air vent. Place in 400 degree oven for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes are up, remove foil, turn oven to broil and lightly stir squash cubes. If using real squash, you can baste it in a bit more of the sauce sitting in the pan. Broil on high for 5-7 minutes, or until top starts to caramelize. Do not let broiler dry out your squash.
6. Remove squash. It should be tender and easily breakable with a fork. Allow whole squash halves to cool 15 minutes before scooping or slicing out the flesh. Serve in a bowl with a drizzle of the baking juices. Garnish with fresh sage leaves and pepper.
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.
Follow Kathy on Facebook and Twitter for updates!
Dont miss the latest from Family Kitchen Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen:
* 25 Genius Recipes that Infuse Fall into Breakfast
* 10 Spooky Vegan Recipes for October
* Speculoos Pecan Maple Cheesecake (vegan)
* Healthy Fall Pumpkin get the facts!
Food Blogga: What is Kabocha Squash? You've seen it at the market. You've picked it up and wondered, What is this? An odd shaped acorn squash? Then you saw the sign: Kabocha squash, and ... Roasted Corn Pudding in Acorn Squash Recipe - 101 Cookbooks Inspired by a recipe in The Vegetarian Compass written by Karen Hubert Allison, published in 1998. A roasted acorn squash is filled with corn, milk, anise seed, and ... stuffed squash + harvest The First Mess Okay, what I'm about to lay on you here is a bit... Thanksgiving-y. I know that it's so far away and it's Whole Roasted Turkey with Citrus Rosemary Salt Recipe : Michael ... Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Food Network Whole Roasted Turkey with Citrus Rosemary Salt recipe from Michael Chiarello. Food & Drink - How To Information eHow.com Food & Drink: Don't let that next party be a flop. Be the envy of your friends thanks to eHow's entertaining secrets sure to make that next affair a success. Food is ... Kid-Friendly Recipes - KitchenDaily Kid-Friendly Recipes with ratings, reviews and menus Spices of Life: A Round-Up of Homemade Spice Blends Simple Bites A round-up of homemade spice blends from around the world. Easy Recipes - KitchenDaily Easy Recipes with ratings, reviews and menus ... Browse all recipes from chicken to zucchini, find menu ideas, and get nutritional information from KitchenDaily. Maple-Roasted Turkey with Sage Butter - Food Network - Easy ... 3 hr 50 min; 1 sticks unsalted butter, softened to room temperature; 1/4 bunch fresh sage, finely chopped; Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper; 1 (12 to 14 ... Recipes Whole Foods Market Avocado provides rich flavor and creamy texture in this simple salad.